[dns-operations] pointless/meaningless TXT records

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sun Jan 12 16:16:45 UTC 2014

On 12 Jan 2014, at 15:34, Chris Thompson <cet1 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> But what about the simply informative/debugging:
>
> kiwi.  86400  IN  TXT  "Generation Time: 1389539700"

Sigh.

Seems a waste of time to me. What is the "generation time", what does it mean and what does that digit string represent? [OK, it's some sort of timestamp, but which?] Why would anyone care or need to know about this? And surely that generation time could be encoded in the SOA serial number anyway.

IMO the operators of this TLD should have got a type code assignment for this thing rather than overload the TXT record yet again. No matter. If it makes the operators of .kiwi happy, leave them to it. It's their train set after all and they get to choose how to play with it.