[dns-operations] Is it illegal to query the .berlin TLD servers?

Florian Streibelt dnsops_x730df7439 at spamfaenger.f-streibelt.de
Sat Jan 11 21:11:24 UTC 2014

On Sa, 11 Jan 2014 at 11:35:55 +0900, Randy Bush wrote:

> > # dig +short txt berlin
> > ;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.
> > "The .berlin-zone is protected through the German Copyright-Law. " "Beyond it
> > is protected by criminal law and data protection law. " "Unauthorised entry to
> > the zone is prohibited. " "All rights, in particular the right of duplication,
> > circulation or usage, belong exclusively to nic.berlin, unless you have an
> > explicit written agreement with nic.berlin."
>
> you asked for a txt rr and got one
>
> as to the content of the txt rr, it seems to say you may not transfer
> the zone file.  not being able to transfer the zone file is rather
> common.

Well, I would argue that I am using the zone as soon a I do a query for
something thats in that zone.

Also I aks myself whom they are telling this. If someone manages to put
entries in their zone, this probably happens already by illegal means - so no
need to state again that it is prohibited.

Duplication can happen also quite easily in a cache. So it makes no sense to
request written statements here. Circulation - what does that mean?
Synchronizing my caches in some backend?

Personally I just found this text ridiculous to some extend.

> this is about as exciting as a schnitzel.

Oh, I know some that are pretty exciting :D

/F.