[dns-operations] DNS namespace collisions and "controlled interruption"

Jeff Schmidt jschmidt at jasadvisors.com
Wed Jan 8 20:51:00 UTC 2014

Hi, folks:

As you may know, we're looking into mitigating DNS namespace "collisions" related to ICANN's New gTLD program.  See here for background:

http://www.icann.org/en/help/name-collision

We have an idea we call "controlled interruption" which essentially involves DNS queries into new TLDs returning an IP inside 127/8 temporarily.  Objective being to help operators become aware of potential use of global DNS namespace (intentionally or unintentionally).

Please look here:

http://domainincite.com/15512-controlled-interruption-as-a-means-to-prevent-name-collisions-guest-post

Folks interested in the DNS collisions issue might want to follow the DNS-OARC Collisions list:

Take care,
Jeff