[dns-operations] signing reverse zones

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Tue Feb 11 10:30:55 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 03:47:57PM -0800, Mark Boolootian wrote:
> I'm interested in knowing if it is standard practice amongst folks to
> sign .arpa zones.

probably no more or less than for the forward tree.  I find ~ 2000 IN-ADDR.ARPA
and IP6.ARPA zones with key material registered in the RIPE database.

> Is there a compelling use case for signing reverse zones?

Assuming you do accept the case for the forward tree, are PTR RRs
worth less than other RR types?  Also, there are a number of proposals
to populate the reverse tree with other information.

-Peter