[dns-operations] rate-limiting state

David C Lawrence tale at akamai.com
Fri Feb 7 15:14:57 UTC 2014

Tony Finch writes:
> At that point the name server itself is the victim, and there isn't
> anything it can do about the attack - DDoS mitigation has to happen well
> upstream of the victim.

Well, it's *a* victim, if not the intended target.  As someone who
runs servers behind a small pipe (and recently had the pipe collapse
thanks to an NTP reflection targeted at someone else) I definitely
agree with you.

As a supporter of RRL, I'll point out that even with overwhelming
inbound attack traffic RRL will still help so "isn't anything it can
do about the attack" is too bleak.