[dns-operations] rate-limiting state

David C Lawrence tale at akamai.com
Fri Feb 7 14:49:58 UTC 2014

Tony Finch writes:
> Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net> wrote:
> > On Feb 07, 2014, at 07:09 , Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
> > > If my busy name server is getting 1000 qps of real traffic from all over
> > > the net, and 1000 qps of attack traffic "from" some victim, then RRL will
> > > attenuate responses to the victim without affecting other users.
> > >
> > > In the absence of RRL, the victim will be denied service by overwhelming
> > > traffic. In the presence of RRL the victim might have slightly slower DNS
> > > resolution.
> >
> > Not just the victim.
>
> What not just the victim? In the absence of RRL the DDoS attack is likely
> to cause collateral damage, yes. In the presence of RRL non-victims are
> unaffected as long as the attack isn't overwhelming the name server.

Maybe Patrick glossed over the mere "1000 qps", which for many (most?
hand-waving) operators doesn't even blip as an attack.  At the
attack-level traffic to which he is accustomed, the inbound requests
can easily surpass the server's ability to generate responses even if
it ends up not sending most of them.