[dns-operations] rate-limiting state

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Fri Feb 7 05:04:17 UTC 2014

On Feb 7, 2014, at 8:58 AM, Damian Menscher <damian at google.com> wrote:

> You go on to argue that the 3-way handshake adds latency and server load, which I agree with.  But keep in mind only the legitimate queries will need to use TCP, so the actual load is low.  And these are queries which would otherwise have had to retry over UDP after a timeout (and even then only have a 50% success rate), so the amortized latency hit isn't particularly significant either.

This is my experience with forcing TC=1 for the initial query from a given source (after re-issuance via TC=1, said source is 'authenticated' for some configurable period of time) - the latency effects and the server overhead are minimal.

There are two nontrivial problems with forcing TC=1 these days, neither of which is related to actual DNS server performance:

1.	Some large-scale DNS operators have incorrectly disabled TCP/53 for their authoritative DNS farms due to a combination of the old misinformation about TCP/53 being a 'security' risk with regards to AXFR, as well as the continuing misperception that TCP/53 overhead is crippling, based upon early-1990s server performance specs vs. specs of modern servers.

2.	Incorrect filtering of TCP/53 on endpoint networks (and in some intermediary networks) due to the aforementioned AXFR myth.

Tangentially, Geoff Huston gave a preso at NZNOG last week which analyzes the crypto-related sever overhead of DNSSEC.  It's quite interesting to compare the crypto overhead to perceived TCP overhead . . .

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton