[dns-operations] knot-dns

Edward Lewis edward.lewis at icann.org
Mon Dec 15 23:25:26 UTC 2014

On 12/15/14, 14:40, someone wrote:

>My point is that the negatives far outweigh the benefits in most
>organizations.

The problem with broad generalizations is that they are always wrong.

(Meant as a joke.)

I skimmed this thread now and then and thought about my experience in
building and operating systems.  Ever since “The Cuckoo’s Egg” - as far as
I know - “genetic code diversity” has been a fad.  It got woven into a lot
of requirements.  Having spent a long time inside operators, I’ve seen
this become more of an albatross than a “good idea."

If I am operating a system supporting external customers, homogeneity is a
benefit.

If I am operating a system for my own benefit, heterogeneity is a benefit.

My recommendation for a service provider stick with one code base and
learn to run it well.  My recommendation for a customer of such a provider
use two or more service providers.