[dns-operations] knot-dns

John Dickinson jad at sinodun.com
Mon Dec 15 11:49:50 UTC 2014

> On 15 Dec 2014, at 02:45, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org <mailto:drc at virtualized.org>> wrote:
>

>> And 'a bit more challenging' is a significant understatement, especially at scale.
>
> Too bad no one has come up with something like Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc., to help manage infrastructure configuration at scale.

The IETF DNSOP WG tried. The requirements are in rfc6168.

We wrote a draft describing an implementation
- http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dickinson-dnsop-nameserver-control-02 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dickinson-dnsop-nameserver-control-02>

We even produced a proof-of-concept implementation of some parts of the draft (Big thanks to the NLnet Foundation for funding)
- https://portal.sinodun.com/wiki/display/DNSCCM/DNSCCM+Home <https://portal.sinodun.com/wiki/display/DNSCCM/DNSCCM+Home>

Unfortunately we were unable to generate much interest or get WG adoption for any attempt to document or develop a solution.

Willing to restart work on this if there is interest and it has a chance of moving forward.

regards
John

---
jad at sinodun.com <mailto:jad at sinodun.com>