[dns-operations] Fwd: Google public DNS - getting SERVFAIL for any domains delegated to GoDaddy NSs

Mike Hoskins (michoski) michoski at cisco.com
Mon Dec 8 16:32:30 UTC 2014

Another case of the cure being worse (or at least as bad) as the ailment.
All too common these days.

I've always avoided "public DNS" -- partially for tinfoil hat reasons, but
also because in comparison tests there was always more latency to google
(or whatever outside resource) than my ISP's infra.

Bad timing for me.  I'll spare the guilty, but am in a case on a couple
networks where google's DNS servers actually perform better (including
general availability as a key measure) than the ISPs.  That makes me
personally care more in this case, though I'm sure there are plenty of
devices using google DNS based simply upon all the blog posts suggesting
it's the best thing since sliced bread.