[dns-operations] Assuring the contents of the root zone

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Tue Dec 2 01:56:28 UTC 2014

Here is a strawman, to try and understand the discussion.

If we imagine some datastream which is the result of an AXFR or HTTP
request.

 <cmd> | tr 'AZ' 'az'| sort -u | <checker>

this takes the stream, does LWSP replacement, and sorts the lines
alphabetically and generates eg SHA256

the tr phase is just for example. presumably a more complex set of rules
are required to DeMangLE the case conversion and punycode but the sense is,
that we have a deterministic state of any label in the zone and its
attributes as an encoding.

The sort phase generates a single understood (POSIX sort) order of bytes.
These can then be compared.

Why is this worse than eg an RR by RR comparison, walking the NSEC chains?
What I like about it, is that its applicable to being given the data OOB.
if you have what is a putative zone, then you can apply this logic, and
determine if the zone matches what is published elsewhere as a canonical
state of the zone.

The RR by RR and NSEC walk feels like a DNS experts approach. Not a
systems/generic approach.

-G