[dns-operations] First new gTLD using ICANN's "Name Collision Occurrence Management Framework"

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Fri Aug 29 05:04:19 UTC 2014

On 28 aug 2014, at 22:12, Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> At 05:38 28-08-2014, Chris Thompson wrote:
>>>
>>> The gTLD "otsuka", created sometime in the last 24 hours, appears to be
>>> the
>>> first to use the wildcards described at
>>

>> [snip]
>>

>>> What do people think about this business? Is anyone taking specific
>>> precautions
>>> to detect attempts to connect to 127.0.53.53?
>>

>> I presume that the people who invented this stuff know what they are doing.
>
> Mwahahahahahhah.... hahhhahaha.... teehee...
>
> Thanks, I needed that.

Thanks Warren, this made me smile... ;-)

For people not aware, the discussion inside ICANN on this matter has been...hmm...complicated.

What is deployed is the result of a discussion inside ICANN that you can find one core report here:

<https://www.icann.org/public-comments/name-collision-2014-02-26-en>

See for example Section 2.3 and Appendix A in SAC066:

<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/sac-066-en.pdf>

   Patrik Fältström
   SSAC Chair