[dns-operations] DNS load-balancing/failover using an ASR 9xxx (few questions)

Sebastian Wiesinger dns-operations at ml.karotte.org
Wed Aug 20 08:07:37 UTC 2014

* Anand Buddhdev <anandb at ripe.net> [2014-08-15 09:39]:
> > BGP sessions between the ASR 9xxxx and each DNS server in the cluster,
> > ExaBGP running on them announcing their loopback/service /32 + /128
> > address(es).
> >
> > Health check scripts on each service to probe for service ability,
> > retract the announcement upon failure.
>
> We are doing this exact same thing on many RIPE NCC DNS servers, and it
> works very well. The other advantage of BGP is that as soon as you
> withdraw the announcement, the router stops sending traffic to the
> server. With OSPF, you have timeouts of several seconds before traffic
> stops arriving at a dead server.

Can you share a bit more about the setup/tools RIPE uses for this?  I
want to do something like this but I'm still looking for good
recommendations for heartbeat/keepalive tools that watch the DNS
daemon and update ExaBGP accordingly.

Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant