[dns-operations] DNS load-balancing/failover using an ASR 9xxx (few questions)

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Fri Aug 15 07:22:02 UTC 2014

On 15/08/2014 00:00, Nat Morris wrote:

> BGP sessions between the ASR 9xxxx and each DNS server in the cluster,
> ExaBGP running on them announcing their loopback/service /32 + /128
> address(es).
>
> Health check scripts on each service to probe for service ability,
> retract the announcement upon failure.

We are doing this exact same thing on many RIPE NCC DNS servers, and it
works very well. The other advantage of BGP is that as soon as you
withdraw the announcement, the router stops sending traffic to the
server. With OSPF, you have timeouts of several seconds before traffic
stops arriving at a dead server.

Regards,

Anand