[dns-operations] DNS load-balancing/failover using an ASR 9xxx (few questions)

Jake Zack jake.zack at cira.ca
Thu Aug 14 17:48:50 UTC 2014

Anyone doing this?

Previously I'd been using Cisco 3945's and 3845's running standard IOS...thus using Cisco IP SLA + track to do DNS queries of each server and add/remove them from the cluster.

In the ASR 9xxx series with IOS XR, the "ipsla" that it has available doesn't seem to do either TCP connections or UDP DNS queries.  It seems my only real option is to monitor for ICMP reachability and nothing else.

Anyone have a better solution?  I've considered throwing a wrapper around BIND doing OSPF updates and such...but it seems unideal.

-Jake
DNS Administrator - CIRA (.CA TLD)