[dns-operations] A report on a DNS issue that was causing page redirections

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Aug 13 15:25:39 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 3:38 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 06:59:37PM +0200,
>  Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote
>  a message of 14 lines which said:
>
>> The author says "your domain name registrar can introduce an error to
>> the root domain database and match your domain to an incorrect DNS
>> servers (this actually happened earlier in history of some domain
>> registrars)" but my human memory cannot find an actual documented
>> case. Anyone can mention one or was it just speculation?
>
> One case mentioned by Tony which is not exactly that, but close:
>
> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/01/18/lapse_at_melbourne_it_enabled_panixcom_hijacking.html
>
> One mentioned in ANSSI's guide on DNS:
>
> http://blogs.cisco.com/security/hijacking-of-dns-records-from-network-solutions/
>
> [If you take Network Solutions' words literally...]
>
>> DNSSEC would have mitigated the problem if the domain had been
>> properly managed, which was apparently not the case.

ObRef:
SAC044 - A Registrant's Guide to Protecting Domain Name Registration
Accounts  [https://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/documents/sac-044-en.pdf]
SAC040 - Measures to Protect Domain Registration Services Against
Exploitation or Misuse
[https://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/documents/sac-040-en.pdf (also
available in multiple languages, links here:
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/documents-2012-02-25-en)]
SAC028 - Registrar Impersonation Phishing Attacks
[https://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/documents/sac-028-en.pdf]
SAC007 - Domain Name Hijacking Report (SAC007) (12 July 2005)
[https://www.icann.org/announcements/hijacking-report-12jul05.pdf]
SAC049 -  DNS Zone Risk Assessment and Management (03 June 2011)
[https://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/documents/sac-049-en.pdf]

Unfortunately many registrants are not adequately protecting their
domains, especially the registrar credentials. The suggestions in the
above documents[0] don't solve all domain hijacks (ask me how I know
:-)), but would cut down on a large number of them, and / or make
recovery faster / easier[1].

[0]: Full disclosure: Member of SSAC, contributor to a number of the
above documents.
[1]: This feels like a BCP38 type discussion. Not sure if posting
these will make any difference, but next time there is a hijack that
could have been prevented by the above, at least I can say "Nah, nah,
told you so!". This is not helpful to the registrant, but might make
me feel better :-P