[dns-operations] Curious use of cname

David C Lawrence tale at akamai.com
Wed Aug 6 18:32:53 UTC 2014

John Wobus writes:
>  From everything I know, this is wrong and it's apparently making our
> nameservers give inconsistent results.  What nameserver allows
> this and what might they be attempting to accomplish?

It is wrong, and what they're attempting to accomplish is to hand over
their "naked" domain name to a web hosting provider while still
retaining control over the non-address records.

A and AAAA get the CNAME, but anything else, including ANY, is
answered with the expected apex data (but no address records or CNAME
for the ANY query).