[dns-operations] most of root NS and com's NS fail from here

Emmanuel Thierry ml at sekil.fr
Tue Apr 29 17:55:56 UTC 2014

Hello,

Le 29 avr. 2014 à 19:26, David Conrad a écrit :

> On Apr 29, 2014, at 3:05 AM, Emmanuel Thierry <ml at sekil.fr> wrote:
>> If i'm not mistaken, the Chinese filtering is performed on a per-service basis.
>
> The (presumably UDP) based traceroute appears to get stuck just after entering the DREN, not at the Chinese border...

A UDP traceroute is definitely not reliable as a network debugging tool. UDP is commonly filtered by firewalls in entreprise or managed networks. You need at least a ICMP traceroute or a mtr.
As an example, the UDP traceroute gives exactly the same kind of results in my home or servers as Ken Peng, though i don't have any trouble in making DNS queries at it, even with a +notcp flag.

What we may observe from tests is that some dns servers failed without an obvious connectivity problem (ping is OK). As a consequence, i think it would be really interesting to test for instance with an arbitrary dns server and see whether it fails or not.

Best regards
Emmanuel Thierry