[dns-operations] Uptick in number of domains losing delegation recently

Jothan Frakes jothan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 06:17:37 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> Jothan,
>
> On Apr 22, 2014, at 8:45 PM, Jothan Frakes <jothan at gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > Actually I am all about making sure contact info is correct and trimming
> away "perp" abuses.
>
> My understanding is that the toolbox to do this is somewhat limited.  What
> other mechanisms than domain suspension would you propose?
>
> Regards,
> -drc

David I think the desired outcome is honorable and important, but the
mechanism needs to be thought out a bit so it doesn't crush the innocent in
pursuit of the guilty.

Mark at easydns caught it early in January and blogged it.  The comments
over the past 2-3 months clearly mimic what dialog I suspect we will
witness on this list over the matter.  If anyone wanted to spare this list
some of the natural evolution of dialog from each side do the data accuracy
vs kill everyone let god sort them out argument it is a compelling read.

http://blog.easydns.org/2014/01/21/icann-unleashes-deadliest-ddos-attack-vector-of-2014/

It's a bit of a sensationalist title, granted, but focusing past the
title the problem description seems like it nails the issue where non-perps
are getting crushed in the gears of the well intended machine.

Suspension certainly gets attention from the registrant, but for a lot of
the existing domains have been auto-renew / set and forget for more than a
couple decades in a lot of cases.  Update a contact on those where the
admin doesn't respond, like is exampled in the article, and have your
domain deactivated.

I don't have a great solution in mind, other than perhaps as other group
wisdom would unfold from the community suggestions that have been made
around the validation at renewal on existing names, so at least they are
not swept into the same wood chipper designed to mulch newly created
domains that may have bad contact info.

That seems patently reasonable because they are potentially separate
issues, or if they are not, the "solution space" could be separated to that
it is less likely to take down existing websites that are legitimate.

-j

--
Jothan Frakes
+1.206-355-0230 tel