[dns-operations] Best practices for Linux/UNIX stub resolver failover

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Apr 22 19:30:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 03:04:27PM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> What do the DNS experts say about best practices for DNS failover in
> the stub resolver?

I doubt I qualify as one of "the DNS experts", but what I have to say
about this is, "OMG, what a mess."  None of the fallback options works
well in practice.  Also, of course, your application may or may not
pay attention to changes in /etc/resolv.conf when you change networks.

I wish I had something happier to say.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com