[dns-operations] DNS perf benchmarking tools

Daniel Karrenberg daniel.karrenberg at ripe.net
Mon Apr 7 08:15:15 UTC 2014

On 05.04.2014, at 15:34 , Francis Dupont <Francis.Dupont at fdupont.fr> wrote:

> - you have to very carefully define what you mean by TCP DNS performance
>  or you can finish with interesting numbers about the NUT kernel
>  (vs. name server) behavior...

Excellent point.

Let me expand: If you are interested in TCP performance, the kernel and particularly the networking stack has much much more influence than with UDP. To amplify: the best server will give poor results when running on the wrong system. So overall performance experienced by the querier is much more a total system issue.

Further: I personally believe in benchmarking to loads that are designed after actual or expected loads. This is how we benchmarked the initial versions of nsd against the "incumbent". We replayed actual loads in a test lab against the servers, captured the response streams and analysed them.

To amplify: it makes no sense to optimise for TCP performance when this
http://k.root-servers.org/statistics/GLOBAL/ip_protocols.html
is the current load and there is no trend away from it:

No matter what FUD and marketing hype say. Is anybody really seeing significant TCP load in the wild at this time?

Daniel