[dns-operations] Introducing CNAME Flattening: RFC-Compliant CNAMEs at a Domain's Root

Colm MacCárthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Sat Apr 5 22:57:08 UTC 2014

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096

> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.OrG. 3485 IN     SRV     50 10 80
> pkg0.bme.freebsd.org.
> _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.OrG. 3485 IN     SRV     10 10 80
> pkg0.isc.freebsd.org.
> _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.OrG. 3485 IN     SRV     90 10 80
> pkg0.ydx.freebsd.org.
> _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.OrG. 3485 IN     SRV     20 10 80
> pkg0.nyi.freebsd.org.

> ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
> gns0.freebsd.OrG.       3484    IN      A       8.8.178.30

It'd probably be beneficial for the additional section to contain the
A/AAAA records sets for the SRV targets here (which are in bailiwick, and
there's no other zonecut as far as I can tell), and could help avoid
another round-trip before the connect() can even be called.

It's speculation on my part, but that behavior might be holding back SRV.
It's probably a hard-sell to expect browsers to perform two queries instead
of one, and to double the time they spend in DNS resolution.

--
Colm