[dns-operations] Introducing CNAME Flattening: RFC-Compliant CNAMEs at a Domain's Root

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Apr 4 21:05:27 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 01:24:03PM -0700, Matthew Ghali wrote:

> Second, to call this record synthesis a “CNAME” is a disservice to the industry.

While I agree with that (and was of course piqued by the lousy
description of why you can't have a CNAME at the apex -- err, sorry,
"root" -- of a zone, as though this was just some perverse restriction
pvm foisted upon the world), I think this name is the right one for
their audience.

Customers call this "CNAME at the root" all the time, regardless of
whether I like that.  If you want people who don't understand DNS to
find your feature, you'll call it that on your blog too.  Now, why
waste the opportunity to explain all of this?  I don't know.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com