[dns-operations] Introducing CNAME Flattening: RFC-Compliant CNAMEs at a Domain's Root

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Apr 4 09:20:37 UTC 2014

[Warning: sloppy terminology, for instance, "root" is not used in the
usual DNS meaning.]

http://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-cname-flattening-rfc-compliant-cnames-at-a-domains-root

Funny idea but it works only if your DNS is hosted at CloudFlare.

I was not able to find a real example: all the companies mentioned in
the article as being happy users have their Web server at CloudFlare,
where this service is useless. I assume that, from the outside, the
autoritative name server looks like an ordinary authoritative name
server even if, internally, it performs recursion to flatten the
CNAME. Anyone has a real example to show?