[dns-operations] summary of recent vulnerabilities in DNS security.

Haya Shulman haya.shulman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 19:42:36 UTC 2013

> In that case, on what should an organization spend time or money

first, on DNSSEC or the recommendations in the mail message?  Would
it be better if each of the recommendations in the mail message
started with something like this?

    Deploy DNSSEC, and consider the follow to help protect cached

    data not yet protected with DNSSEC.

It's a good point, thanks. I will rewrite the recommendations according to
what is essential and also against which type of attack and to what network
configuration it applies.

That sounds like a more significant bug than port obscurity or

randomization.  If it is a bug, which should be addressed first in
that software or those installations, this DNSSEC bug or the
recommendations in the mail message?  It it is a significant DNSSEC
bug, it would be good if a future version of the mail message

mentioned it.

It is not always a bug imho. Some resolvers, e.g., unbound, explicitly
allow such permissive modes of DNSSEC validation, others support this
implicitly and the rest may simply be not configured properly.
Permissive modes are typically used during the incremental deployment
phases prior to full adoption, e.g., to see that DNSSEC works ok, and does
not break anything.
Permissive mode introduces a security vulnerability - since a resolver
signals support of DNSSEC, it receives large (often fragmented) responses,
and thus may be vulnerable to our cache poisoning attack. On the other
hand, network operators, may be concerned (often justly) with enforcing
strict DNSSEC validation, due to interoperability (or other) problems (we
discuss this in more detail in `Availability and Security Challenges
Towards Adoption of DNSSEC`).