[dns-operations] Should medium-sized companies run their own recursive resolver?

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Mon Oct 14 20:24:27 UTC 2013

On Oct 14, 2013, at 12:43 PM, Suzanne Woolf <woolf at isc.org> wrote:

> I've really enjoyed reading the responses to this,

+1

> and admit my own answer is (yet another flavor of) "It depends."

That seems to be the median so far.

> I'm wondering what motivated the question, particularly in such a generic form.

In various discussions on different DNS-related topics, some people have said that "obviously" everyone should have a resolver at X, where X had wildly different values. I thought it would be useful to create a "typical" use case and see if X converged in a community such as this.

It didn't. That's a useful data point for people creating other protocols who have to listen to commenters who say where resolvers need to be.

--Paul Hoffman