[dns-operations] Should medium-sized companies run their own recursive resolver?

Carlos M. Martinez carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 17:48:40 UTC 2013

The problem that i see is that if you don't run your local DNS, then if
your link with the outside world goes down, you're essentially toasted
even for your own, locally hosted, services.

This may not be a concern if you live in the more developed parts of the
world, but down south here, trust me, it is.

Granted, you can teach your users to access your printers and local file
servers by IP, but that hardly seems a sane approach in the long run.

Here in the true 'deep south', people run 30-40 people SOHOs behind
dynamic-IP ADSL lines, which change addresses every 12 hours. Some of
them even do clever tricks to load-balance cheap DSL lines.

So, yes, I think running your own DNS is something important to do, not
only for recursion but for resolving local resources as well.

Cheers!

~Carlos