[dns-operations] Should medium-sized companies run their own recursive resolver?

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Mon Oct 14 17:38:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> A fictitious 100-person company has an IT staff of 2 who have average IT
> talents. They run some local servers, and they have adequate
> connectivity for the company's offices through an average large ISP.
>
> Should that company run its own recursive resolver for its employees, or
> should it continue to rely on its ISP?

I'd say "it depends". If they have a staff of only 2, it is unlikely they
have specific requirements or concerns with regard to DNS... and wouldn't
know how to troubleshoot any issues (or have the work cycles to do so). If
I was one of the 2 IT bods, I'd be telling my employer to keep
outsourcing.  Depending on the line of work though, somebody else in the
organization could very well be lobbying for the opposite, with specific
concerns in mind.

--

Fred Morris