[dns-operations] chrome's 10 character QNAMEs to detect NXDOMAIN rewriting

Edward Lewis ed.lewis at neustar.biz
Wed Nov 27 14:00:45 UTC 2013

My excuse is - operators limit "the effort expended in fighting entropy."  Imagine an average operations environment operating as most environments go.

One admin comes in a decides they can do a better job.  And the admin does, stellar talent.

Then the said stellar admin decides to move on career-wise (naturally) and is replaced by a less attentive (or differently attentive) admin, i.e., someone who's knowledge of DNS comes only from a paper book.

Eventually one day something breaks and then... .... ...include here "the only one who can fix it has left."

I mention this because I think that is more relevant than:

On Nov 26, 2013, at 21:46, Joe Abley wrote:

> The root nameservers are administered by people who have incentives to do a good job. Resolvers set up by some random admin one rainy Thursday afternoon to transfer the root zone from some place or places that happen to work that day constitute an unmaintained critical service, and end-users will pay for it when it stops working and nobody can figure out what it is supposed to be doing.

I'd argue that the resolver admin is also incentivized to do a good or better job too.  Joe's right in general, but it's not that the admins are lazy (putting words in his mouth) - it's the energetic ones that can/may prove to be the "root cause" some day.

Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

Why is it that people who fear government monitoring of social media are
surprised to learn that I avoid contributing to social media?