[dns-operations] It's begun...

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Fri Nov 15 16:17:08 UTC 2013

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:

> Unlikely with .sexy, but possible with others.
>
> Rewriting your scenario:
>
> "BigCo Bicycle Corp. CIO declares that the problem their Web site
> experienced
> yesterday was the result of a collision between their internal TLD
> .bike, that they use for years to name the internal machines, and the
> recently created ICANN (Nasdaq: ICAN) .bike TLD."

It's not just internal tlds. It is also unqualified host names. I expect
the biggest problems with "oracle" and "exchange", although there it is
the vendors shooting their own customers in the foot.

I'm also very worried that ICANN has still not added "mail" to the list
of TLDs they will never delegate. There are _many_ mailservers that are
called "mail" internally with many different types of custom written
applications and mail clients whose DNS lookups methods are completely
unknown.

Paul