[dns-operations] cache sizes/tuning

Mike Hoskins (michoski) michoski at cisco.com
Thu Nov 7 21:06:54 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com>
Date: Thursday, November 7, 2013 3:49 PM
To: Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca>
Cc: DNS Operations <dns-operations at mail.dns-oarc.net>
Subject: [dns-operations] cache sizes/tuning

>On 7 Nov 2013, at 20:08, Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca> wrote:
>
>> But if that's what happens, it certainly helps explain the oft-shouted
>>guidance "TUNE YOUR CACHE".
>
>Maybe. However it wouldn't explain why the oft-shouted phrase wasn't
>"spend $50 on a a few more GB of memory". :-)

Probably because my testing has shown that no matter how much you buy
(usually limited by physical sockets), you can exhaust it without proper
tuning...

No one doing serious operations accepts defaults anyway, right (except for
RRL of course)?  Even if you did, your monitoring of critical DNS infra
would alert long before you hit swap, right?  ;-)