[dns-operations] Querying version.bind illegal?

SM sm at resistor.net
Thu May 23 14:40:21 UTC 2013

Hi Vitalie,
At 06:39 23-05-2013, Vitalie Cherpec wrote:
>I've developed a DNS checking tool (http://www.dnsinspect.com/).
>After 5 years of running it without any issues, I've received today a
>compliant through my ISP from a big company in a foreign country.

This comment is not legal advice.

>They pretend that my VPS is attacking their infrastructure while
>querying their DNS server's version and this request can be regarded
>as cyber-terror attack (my tool tries only to warn users exposing the
>DNS software version).

If the number of complaints is significant enough to bother your
provider, it might consider it cheaper to shut down your service.  I
don't know whether your provider will bother spending money to keep
your service running even if your tool is considered as something good.

It might help other people to know which nameserver should not be
used for DNS queries.

Regards,
-sm