[dns-operations] Querying version.bind illegal?

Vitalie Cherpec vitalie at penguin.ro
Thu May 23 13:39:13 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've developed a DNS checking tool (http://www.dnsinspect.com/).
After 5 years of running it without any issues, I've received today a
compliant through my ISP from a big company in a foreign country.

They pretend that my VPS is attacking their infrastructure while
querying their DNS server's version and this request can be regarded
as cyber-terror attack (my tool tries only to warn users exposing the
DNS software version).

I've blacklisted their DNS servers from being queried in the future,
but I would like to know if querying version.bind is illegal (in
some countries)?

Regards,
Vitalie