[dns-operations] DNS Performance Test Over TCP

Kareem Ali kareem.ali at centralnic.com
Wed May 22 15:46:41 UTC 2013

Hi Peter,

On 22/05/13 16:33, Peter Andreev wrote:

> 2013/5/22 Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net
> <mailto:jared at puck.nether.net>>
>

>     On May 22, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Kareem Ali
>     <kareem.ali at centralnic.com <mailto:kareem.ali at centralnic.com>> wrote:
>
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > I'm trying to run a DNS TCP performance test to a DNS server in a
>     > lab environment. I'm doing the test from another server connected
>     > directly with a 1 Gb link. Both servers are running CentOS 6.4.
>     I use
>     > dnsperf to run my DNS performance test on UDP, and it's giving
>     me what I
>     > want on both IPv4 and IPv6, but I can't find a proper tool to do
>     it with
>     > TCP.
>     >
>     > I tried querytcp, but it won't let me limit the maximum queries per
>     > second. Also, couldn't get queryperf++ to install on my boxes
>     because it
>     > has some dependencies that it needs to run.
>

> querytcp's "maximum outstanding queries" option is quite suitable for
> setting qps limit.

I think this option sets the maximum number of queries to send before it
gets a reply and this is not per second. According to dnsperf's help -q
sets this, and -Q sets the queries per second limit.

Thanks,
Kareem.

--
Kareem Ali
Network Operations Engineer

CentralNic Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company
number 4985780. Registered Offices: 35-39 Moorgate, London, EC2R 6AR.