[dns-operations] Multiple A/AAAA RRs associated with an NS RR

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri May 3 22:34:39 UTC 2013

It's very common, and does not present any problems in operational
practice. For example, from the root zone:

Number of IPv4 hosts:		1209
Number of IPv4 addresses:	1157

Number of IPv6 hosts:		 551
Number of IPv6 addresses:	 520

Situations where there are more addresses than hosts are not uncommon
either, and often result from either a transition in progress, or a
misunderstanding of what "multiple NS records" means.

hth,

Doug