[dns-operations] DNS Issue

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed May 1 17:27:39 UTC 2013

Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

> I think you still can't serve UDP over IPv6 without per-client sate,
> keeping both full RFC conformance and interoperability with the
> existing client population.  Pre-fragmentation to 1280 or so bytes
> isn't enough, you also have to generate atomic fragments.

Or don't fragment and restrict the EDNS buffer size to 1280. I'm somewhat
amazed that DNS-over-fragmented-UDP works as well as it does. See also
https://www.usenix.org/conference/lisa12/dnssec-what-every-sysadmin-should-be-doing-keep-things-working

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.