[dns-operations] Force TCP for external quereis to Open Resolvers?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sun Mar 31 15:35:59 UTC 2013

On 31 Mar 2013, at 15:20, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 01:32:13PM +0100,
> Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote
> a message of 23 lines which said:
>
>> Keeping state for bazillions of DNS TCP connections to a resolving
>> server will present further challenges.
>
> Only the DNS people think that. The HTTP people are used to many TCP
> connections to manage and do not think it is impossible.

I'm sure they do.

But I wonder if their notion of "many TCP connections" is the same as a DNS guy's. It would be good to get some actual numbers here: peak and steady state of HTTP(S) connections for the busiest web farms and the same for DNS, assuming the current UDP traffic to a decent root or TLD server all went over TCP.

If web-land has already solved this problem, then of course that knowledge should be applied to DNS operations.