[dns-operations] asking the European a-k.cctld.us servers for MX records

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Tue Mar 26 08:34:51 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Mar 26, 2013, at 9:13 , Thomas Mieslinger wrote:

> am I the only one having trouble to resolve MX records for .us Domains?
>
> When doing a dig MX soderman.us @a.cctld.us in Europe  I get no answer at all.
>
> In the US I get a referral to the nameservers which are authoritative for this domain. To make this even more strange dig AAAA soderman.us @a.cctld.us or any other record type except for MX just gives the referral also in Europe.
>
> Can you just try it yourself?

Copying my replies from another list (pdns-users) for this audience:

I see the same, testing from one location in Europe (inside UPCs network) and
one location in the US (inside Softlayer's network). No answer for the MX,
referral for the AAAA. You might want to take this to https://lists.dns-
oarc.net/mailman/listinfo/dns-operations

A more extensive test from 191 nodes at ring.nlnog.net shows similar results.
AAAA gets referral on all of them, MX only on 42, and those 42 are indeed
mostly in the US.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk