[dns-operations] Who is xn--j1amh.? Well, the general problem...

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Mar 20 15:40:18 UTC 2013

    On 20 Mar 2013, at 13:35, Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap at NLnetLabs.nl> wrote:

    > Whatalways cracks me up on this page is that all IDNs are sorted under the
    > X (because of XNN- I assume).

    Does a sensible sorting order for characters from different
    character sets even exist?

I think, but am not sure that Unicode has some information about desired
collation order.

    The only one I can think of is by strict code point value, but
    then that would produce incorrect results for those languages
    whose own code points aren't in lexical order.

That will at least be some order. Now it appears semi random under X
since it depends on encoding. But this all for the iana webmaster to
look at.

What I find really odd is that port 43 gives less information when
asked with an IDN label.

	jaap