[dns-operations] Recently closed open resolver and reflection attacks

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Mar 6 16:36:20 UTC 2013

I recently help close down an open recursive resolver.  It is still
getting a lot of queries for isc.org/ANY which get a refused response
(unless slipped/dropped by RRL).  Granted, this doesn't amplify the attack
since REFUSED is a fairly small packet, but it is still traffic to the
attacked site.

Given that no properly configured server should be querying this recursive
name server for isc.org, why should it respond with anything?  Why not
just drop the packet for any recursive request if it is not going to
answer it.  I supposed in the good old days, it was polite to say, "Sorry,
I can't answer that."  We also used to accept unsolicited commercial
emails.  The RFCs state we should either reject during SMTP or if we
accept a message, we should either deliver or generate a delivery failure.
 Now we filter and drop spam on the floor.

I don't see these recursive requests as much different than spam

--

William Brown
Core Hosted Application Technical Team and Messaging Team

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.