[dns-operations] Odd query issue

Jonathan Stewart jonathan.stewart at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 05:41:30 UTC 2013

Looks like you solved it. I can get a successful result from here.

jgs at musashi:~$ dig +short @69.36.158.33 mail.rwjf.org
63.124.222.60

But it sounds like your problem was with UDP queries not being answered.
Reasons why include a DNS server configuration parameter (is it configured
to listed on UDP port 53?), or a firewall rule.

Anyway, it's undoubtedly a local configuration issue.

Cheers,
Jonathan

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Mohamed Lrhazi <ml623 at georgetown.edu> wrote:

> Sorry posting this here..
>
> What could possibly cause this:
>
> One, and only one specific query so far, is failing, systematically, like
> so, on a mail appliance of ours:
>
> > dig @69.36.158.33 mail.rwjf.org
>

> ; <<>> DiG 9.4.3-P2 <<>> @69.36.158.33 mail.rwjf.org A
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options:  printcmd
>

> Using +tcp works. same query against google public DNS works. Same query
> from other systems in our network works.
>
> tcpdump and whireshark, show, in pcap taken on the appliance itself, the
> reply came back pretty quick and looks correct:
>
> 3 12:27:46.045245 141.161.2.147 69.36.158.33 DNS Standard query A
> mail.rwjf.org 62431 53
> 4 12:27:46.054869 69.36.158.33 141.161.2.147 DNS Standard query response
> A 63.124.222.60 53 62431
>
> But dig (and the mail software in the appliance) fails.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Mohamed.

     Jonathan