[dns-operations] old root hints still been seen

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Jun 24 17:45:08 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-22, at 15:12, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.Nether.net> wrote:

> While processing some openresolver data (yes, blah blah), I see there are still folks providing root referrals to old root hints:
>
> 119.151.1.94/53///.^IN^NS^C.PSI.NET|.^IN^NS^TERP.UMD.EDU|.^IN^NS^NS.NASA.GOV|.^IN^NS^NS1.ISI.EDU|.^IN^NS^NS.INTERNIC.NET|.^IN^NS^NS.ISC.org|.^IN^NS^NS.NIC.DDN.MIL|.^IN^NS^AOS.ARL.ARMY.MIL|.^IN^NS^NIC.NORDU.NET

Wow, really, really old.

If we discount the possibility that there are some primed recursive servers that haven't been rebooted in twenty years, then what remains is that these servers (a) are equipped with badly-stale root hints, and (b) are not sending priming queries the way they should.

Peter Koch did some work some time ago to document the priming process. The draft withered on the vine, which I think is a shame. (Not that I'm naive enough to imagine that the presence or absence of a document in the IETF correlates directly to observed behaviour in the wild.)

It would certainly be interesting to find out what software this is.

> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> version.bind.		0	CH	TXT	"The Latest and Greatest"

Haha :-)

Joe