[dns-operations] Resolvers choosing low latency nameservers

Jain, Vipin vijain at verisign.com
Fri Jun 21 14:26:05 UTC 2013

Hello,

Unbound is known to use banding of about 400 msec, and bind 9 also used banding(~128 msec) until 9.8 when they removed it.
More information here: https://www.isc.org/blogs/rtt-banding-removal-from-bind-9/
Now they use Smooth RTT.

This work, published from Verisign, takes a look at the server selection algorithms of the various recursive resolvers:
http://www.sigcomm.org/ccr/papers/2012/April/2185376.2185387

>From my understanding, unbound  pretty much locks on the auth server with the lowest TTL, and keeps on using it. Bind, however
is quick to discover recoveries. I don't recall any study on re-probing on an exact time scale, however, it will be pretty interesting to look at.

Vipin Jain