[dns-operations] What's a "suffix"?

SM sm at resistor.net
Tue Jan 22 07:35:48 UTC 2013

At 03:45 21-01-2013, Jothan Frakes wrote:
>addresses.  Many app developers don't closely watch the IANA root
>list, and want to know how to have a more elegant understanding and
>handling of the right hand side of addresses that are parsed, going
>deeper than just the TLD itself.

[snip]

>The hope and purpose is to bridge the application development world
>so as to increase better sophistication for developers about TLDs
>and reduce legacy problems like simple TLD tests (ie >3 chars =
>invalid which broke forms or other functionality for info, museum,
>aero, mobi, travel etc. as they launched) .

It doesn't seem to be based on the IANA root list as that is not
mentioned in the specification.  It's an initiative to map policy
onto DNS for one use case.  If I am not mistaken the use case has
been extended.  In my humble opinion the problem might become more
acute as time goes by.

Regards,
-sm