[dns-operations] What's a "suffix"?

Matthew Ghali mghali at snark.net
Mon Jan 21 04:32:57 UTC 2013

Well, I went back to check, but none of the RFCs seem to explain what a "suffix" is, in the context of DNS. Clearly I haven't been keeping up with new developments in the technology. Where can I read about this new object?

The last time I checked, people using terms like "suffix" in relation to DNS were usually MS AD administrators* who were clearly confused by simple concepts like domain names. Apparently times have changed, with this term now being used legitimately between subject matter experts on a mailing list for dns operators. I'm obviously behind again so please advise on how I can recognize a suffix in the wild, and distinguish it from a garden-variety old-fashioned domain name.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Matt Ghali

(* Or, surprisingly enough, technology executives at huge telcos who were running RFQs for multi-million-dollar ENUM projects.)