[dns-operations] DNS and Email

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Jan 11 15:51:18 UTC 2013

On Jan 10, 2013, at 11:57 PM, Brett Watson <brett at the-watsons.org> wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2013, at 9:25 PM, Noel Butler wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2013-01-11 at 10:43 +0800, Feng He wrote:
>>
>>> And I have a question that, what is the good username for showing in the
>>> whois info for domain contact email?
>>>

>>> dnsadmin at domain.com
>>> hostmaster at domain.com
>>
>> Either of these, I think the latter is probably more common of the two.
>
> Or follow this:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2142.txt

Or the advice (full disclosure: co-author ) in SSAC SAC44 ( http://www.icann.org/en/committees/security/sac044.pdf ) and SAC 40 ( http://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/documents/sac-040-en.pdf ) which recommend (amongst other things):

"Registrants should consider the benefits of using mail domains for contact emails that are managed separately from the domains that can be accessed from an individual domain registration account so that an attacker cannot interfere with a registrar's ability to contact the registrant. Registrants should also consider other measures to mitigate this threat. For example, a registrant could distribute its domain name registrations across multiple domain name registration accounts (and possibly across different registrars). Example Networks, Inc. could manage example.com using account “examplenetworks1” and example.net using account “examplenetworks2”. Email addresses for points of contact for example.com could then be assigned from a mail domain operated under example.net. Similarly, email addresses for points of contact for example.net could be assigned from a mail domain operated under example.com."

It is, er, [ sad | hilarious ] when your domain malfunctions and no-one can contact you to let you know that this has happened because the contact is within the busticated domain…

American Non-Sequitur Society;
we don't make sense, but we do like pizza!