[dns-operations] DNS ANY requests / UltraDNS

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jan 10 01:02:37 UTC 2013

In message <48187E5711D3204C991CB60EC396B754689FD5FD at VCVANMAILMB1.vci.local>, Scott Brynen writes:

> In an interesting development to this, UltraDNS are starting to REFUSE a
> UDP/ANY request on some of their name servers.  As they're unicast, your
> local ones may or may not. The implication is that any software making an
> ANY query will start to fail when they're all switched over.  In my
> region (W.Canada):
> UDNS1.ULTRADNS.NET,  UDNS2.ULTRADNS.NET, PDNS1.ULTRADNS.NET,
> PDNS2.ULTRADNS.NET, all refuse a UDP/ANY, whereas PDNS3.ULTRADNS.ORG,
> PDNS4.ULTRADNS.ORG, PDNS5.ULTRADNS.INFO and PDNS6.ULTRADNS.CO.UK still
> accept them

This is ill thought out.  It won't stop any query being made.
Resolver vendors will just hack their code to force these to TCP
as they often have *no* control over the client base, this ISPs.

Instead of just causing everyone to hack their code to force TCP
just return NOERROR, TC=1 and legitimate client will fallback to TCP
without all the other side effects of this ill considered change.

Even that change will only have short term benefits.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org