[dns-operations] Capturing 8.8.8.8 Traffic

Ray Bellis Ray.Bellis at nominet.org.uk
Tue Feb 26 09:25:34 UTC 2013

On 25 Feb 2013, at 20:11, WBrown at e1b.org<mailto:WBrown at e1b.org> wrote:

I'm not a guru on much of the consumer equipment, but what I have seen
allows you to use whatever DNS settings are pushed out by the ISP as part
of DHCP.  Just leave that box ticked and you get the ISP's idea of the
proper DNS settings.

In my experience, many CPE do *not* push out the resolvers received from the ISP in their DHCP leases.

Most CPE just push out their LAN address.  Some still do that even if the user has hard coded resolvers in the UI configuration which then just get used by the CPE as its forwarders.

See <http://download.nominet.org.uk/dnssec-cpe/DNSSEC-CPE-Report.pdf>.  It's over four years old now, but I don't think much has changed since I co-authored it.  See also RFC 5625.

Ray