[dns-operations] Capturing 8.8.8.8 Traffic

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Mon Feb 25 17:26:07 UTC 2013

I discovered the other day that a large customer of $dayjob has decided
that it is a good idea to outsource the LAN support for their head
office and NOC to a mom-and-pop IT shop. While I question the wisdom in
that, I was far more concerned by the fact that this mom-and-pop shop
had configured Google Public DNS as the resolver for everything on their
LAN.

Now on my corner of the planet Google DNS is 190ms away. Never mind the
mess we have with all the CDNs mapping their traffic to a different
continent.

So what are you thoughts on capturing these queries and answering them
on local resolvers that are <10ms away?

The folks at Google are certainly not going to encourage us to spoof
with doing this to save the customers from themselves?

--
Graham Beneke