[dns-operations] universal deployment of BCP38 and won't/can't semantics

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Feb 22 18:19:03 UTC 2013

On 22 Feb 2013, at 17:55, Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:

> Don't confuse "won't" with "can't". It absolutely can be done.

With sufficient thrust, even pigs can fly.

There's no point arguing the semantics of "don't" and "can't". As Paul mentioned earlier, let's remain realistic. Universal deployment of BCP38 simply isn't going to happen, no matter how much you or I *really want* that. [And I do.] Get over it.

Good luck getting an ISP in downtown Mogadishu (say) to sign up to BCP38 and sticking to it.

The financial and legal incentives for adopting BCP38 aren't there and almost certainly never will be. This doesn't of course mean we should stop efforts to find those incentives. Or give up on encouraging wider BCP38 adoption. Everyone just has to be realistic about what can be achieved.